According to the BBC, there are estimated to be over 700,000 young carers in the UK (youngminds.org.uk). The responsibilities of being a young carer can bring lots of challenges including isolation, falling behind on school or college work and low self-esteem.
Gaddum’s Shine is a new targeted support project for young carers aged 5-16 in Manchester and Salford. It provides a range of help and support including:
- Initial assessments
- One to one sessions
- Group activities and fun events
- An online app and information hub
For more information please contact Matt Shiel on 0161 834 6069 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manchester City Council has lots of information and support for young carers in Manchester.
- The Children’s Society has information on supporting young carers including the Young Carers in Schools Award.
- The Carers’ Trust has also partnered with The Children’s Society to provide valuable insights into supporting young carers in schools. You can watch their short you tube video here.
- Download our toolkit for teachers, youth workers and health professionals.