According to the BBC, there are estimated to be over 700,000 young carers in the UK (youngminds.org.uk). The responsibilities of being a young carer can bring lots of challenges including isolation, falling behind on school or college work and low self-esteem.
Gaddum’s Shine is a new targeted support project for young carers aged 5-16 in Manchester and Salford. It provides a range of help and support including:
- Initial assessments
- One to one sessions
- Group activities and fun events
- An online app and information hub
For more information please contact Matt Shiel on 0161 834 6069 or email email@example.com
- Manchester City Council has lots of information, advice and pathways to support or to explore all of the amazing opportunities and work taking place with and for young carers in Manchester.
- The Children’s Society has information on supporting young carers including the Young Carers in Schools Award.
- The Carers’ Trust has also partnered with The Children’s Society to provide valuable insights into supporting young carers in schools. You can watch their short you tube video here
- Manchester Carers Centre provide a range of services for 16 – 25 year old Young Adult Carers.
- Download our toolkit for teachers, youth workers and health professionals.