Around 1 in 9 of the UK workforce have caring responsibilities. If you are an employer, we can signpost you to organisations who can advise you on any particular queries. Without recognition and information or support at work, many carers reach a point where they feel unable to continue ‘juggling’ their caring role with their employment. For those who do sustain employment, 1 in 5 UK adults have felt that their work was negatively impacted upon because of their caring responsibilities, and more than 1 in 4 reported that caring had taken a toll on their work (Carers UK, 2011).
Here are some tips to help you recognise carers in your workplace:
- Review all your policies and ensure they are carer friendly
- Provide carer awareness training for managers
- Nominate a key point of contact
- Set up an internal group or forum and allow time for carers to attend
- Implement flexible working policies compliant with the current law and allow flexible start and finish times
- Ask carers what will help them successfully combine work and caring
- Allow telephone access in case of emergencies
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any particular queries or concerns and we’ll do our very best to signpost you to the most relevant information and support.
More information for employers: