If you’re over the age of 18 and provide unpaid care for another adult, you’re entitled to an annual assessment. This looks at the impact your caring role has on your life and any support or services you need.

Similar assessments are available if you’re a parent caring for a disabled child or are a young carer (aged under 18). As well as putting support in place for your loved one, a young carer’s assessment can also support you to get the most out of your education and social life.

Contact us so we can make a referral or contact Manchester City Council.

You can check your eligibility using a free online tool such as Entitled to.

Contact us and ask to be referred to our in-house benefits adviser if you’d like advice about making an application or appealing a decision.

You can also phone a benefits helpline such as Citizen’s Advice Manchester or Carers UK. 

You can search for grants to apply for on the Turn2Us website. Many are awarded on the basis of personal circumstances so you can search using the job you do (or used to do), a health condition you have or your nationality, age or religion.

And Turn2Us recommends searching separately for yourself, your partner and the person you care for to find the widest range of options.

Anyone over the age of 18 who needs support because of a disability, ill health or old age is entitled to an assessment of their physical, mental and emotional needs.

This is irrespective of their level of need, financial resources and any care you are currently providing.

To request an assessment, you can either contact Manchester City Council Adult Social Care, or call our helpline and one of our support workers will be happy to make a referral on your behalf.

Manchester City Council provides equipment such as shower stools and special beds, and adaptations like lever taps, handrails, ramps and wet rooms.

To request them, you can either contact Manchester City Council Adult Social Care, or call our helpline and one of our support workers will be happy to make a referral on your behalf.

For wheelchairs, please ask your GP for a referral to the Wheelchair Service.

If you care for someone under the age of 18 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), you can search for services and support in your area using Manchester City Council’s Local Offer service.

The Local Offer Team are also available to talk to at their monthly drop-in sessions (currently being held virtually).

Our network organisations such as Talbot House, Lifted Carers Centre and Manchester Parent Carers Forum offer ongoing practical, emotional and peer support for parent carers.

Citizen’s Advice Manchester’s Energy Advice Service offers wide-ranging support including; help with fuel debts, negotiating affordable payments with your supplier, applying for grants to help with bill arrears and essential household items.

They can also offer advice on making your home more energy efficient, and finding your cheapest supplier and tariff.

If you need help with food or medicine deliveries, managing fuel top-up payments or accessing online services, you can contact the Manchester Community Response Hub.

If your caring role means you have to be out and about during lockdown, we  can provide you with letters to confirm your caring status and grant you access to priority queues at supermarkets. Contact us for more details.

And if you are medically exempt from wearing a mask, there’s an official badge to print or download to your mobile via the government website.

If you’d like more information about any of these services, please call our helpline and speak to a support worker.

If you’d like to talk to someone about your mental health, you can contact Greater Manchester Mental Health’s 24/7 Helpline for free on 0800 953 0285.

Visit the Self Help website and search for local support services.

Mind’s listening service for adults in Manchester aged over 25 is open between 10am and 2pm. They also have a webpage with details of support options if anyone is experiencing a mental health crisis.

Moodswings is an award winning Manchester based charity that aims to help people recover from mood problems and the severe emotional distress they can cause. They have a helpline as well as virtual monthly coping workshops, and fun activity groups.

You can find lots of free wellbeing resources on the Buzz Manchester and Living Life to the Full websites.

We run regular workshops on Stress Management, Worry vs Problem Solving, Modern Meditation and more.

Cruse Bereavement Care offers free, confidential support for anyone over the age of 18 who is grieving and would like a friendly ear to talk to.

Greater Manchester Bereavement Service can help to find support for anyone in Greater Manchester that has been bereaved or affected by a death.

Read the government’s step-by-step guide through all the practical issues you’ll need to deal with following the death of a loved one.

This includes details of the Tell Us Once service where you can inform all relevant government departments in one place.

About Us

Subscribe to our newsletter

If you would like us to keep you in the loop as to what we are up to, training, events, and other exciting things, simply add your details below.

Carers Manchester Network Member Organisations

Latest News

  • Welfare & Benefits Blog

Benefits Blog

28th June, 2022|

Our benefits updates are updated every few weeks to keep carers informed on benefits changes. If you or the person you care for are worried about benefits or have any questions or issues feel [...]

Carers July Workshops

28th June, 2022|

Take a look at our free workshops for carers taking place this July. Being a Carer: Tuesday 5 July, 10am - 12.30pm, Wythenshawe Forum, M22 5RX Welfare and Benefits: Tuesday 12 July, 10.30am - 12pm, [...]

Summer Holidays for Carers

28th June, 2022|

Looking to book a Summer Holiday or just need a break? Carefree Space offer short breaks at minimal cost for full-time carers. There is no charge for the accommodation, but you are responsible for all other costs [...]

Go to Top