In Manchester 48% of carers say either they are neglecting themselves or sometimes can’t look after themselves well enough (Survey of Adult Carers in England 2016/17, Manchester City Council).
It is vital that GP surgeries, pharmacies and hospitals recognise the health and wellbeing of carers and provide the utmost care, advice and support to maintain good health and wellbeing.
GP’s, hospitals and pharmacies can support carers by adopting the following practices:
- Having an up to date carers register
- Having a carers strategy or plan on how the practice or department will identify or support carers
- Link carers with the records of people they care for
- Encourage carers to identify themselves to staff and GP’s
- Attend appropriate carer awareness training
- Raise awareness of carer support and information through posters, leaflets, display screens and events
- Work closely with organisations in the local community
- Having a carers champion as a main point of contact for carers
- Putting agreements and training in place on how to identify, refer and support carers
- Flexible visiting times and free or low post parking for carers
Further information on adopting carer friendly GP’s, hospitals and pharmacies: